On November 20, 1818 on Lookout Point of Pines, located at one end of Monterey Bay, saw the two Argentine vessels. After notice to the governor, were prepared coastal guns, put arms in the garrison and sent to the mission of Soledad to women, children, elderly and disabled to fight.

Bouchard met with his officers to design the plan of attack. The officer had been Corney twice in Monterrey, so I knew the depth of the bay. Use was determined to attack the schooner Santa Rosa, as the great depth of the frigate La Argentina could produce that boat aground, and concentrated the troops landing there. The frigate had to push out several boats that towed away from the Spanish artillery. Once towed, Bouchard sent to the Santa Rosa Captain Sheppard along with 200 men armed with rifles and spears.

The corvette Santa Rosa, commanding officer of Sheppard, anchored at twelve o'clock in the vicinity of the fort. Due to fatigue suffered by men, after towing the frigate and corvette paddle out, Sheppard decided not to attack at night. With the first light of day he discovered he had anchored too close to the coast, and a few meters from the Spanish artillery were ready to attack. The captain decided to open fire, but after fifteen minutes of combat the corvette had rendirse.5 from the frigate, Bouchard saw his men were defeated, but also noted that the Spanish did not attempt to take over the Santa Rosa as they lacked the craft. The Corsair ordered to weigh anchor and move towards the port. However, due to the depth of the frigate could not get close enough to fire. At nine pm, they began to move tasks to the frigate to the survivors of the cruiser.

At dawn on November 24, Bouchard ordered his men to be put in charge of the boats. On boats, led by Bouchard, there were 200 men, 130 guns and 70 armed with spears. They landed about a league from the fort, in a cache hidden on the heights. Strong resistance was very weak, and after an hour battle flag was hoisted argentina.6 The Argentines took the city for six days, in which appropriated the cattle, burned the fort, the artillery barracks, the residence Governor and Spanish houses next to their orchards and gardens.
On November 29, sailed from Monterey Bay, heading to a ranch called El Refugio. This ranch belonged to a family whose members, as he had informed Bouchard had worked hard with the Spanish cause.